Alex Marcoux's Fan Box

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Power of Believing
By Alex Marcoux


In an economy where publishers are freezing acquisitions, relinquishing existing contracts and cutting imprints, as writers, we have a choice. We can hop onboard and accept it – or we can believe in ourselves, stand out and shine!

Have you been seeking publication of your manuscript the conventional way? Then you know the drill ... hard work ... hundreds of queries ... many hours researching publishers or editors.

How’s that working for you?

As you march into this glorious New Year pumped to fulfill your new resolutions, whether that’s to lose weight, exercise, or quit smoking, may I suggest another resolution?

Believe in yourself! Believe that you will be published, find that new agent or publisher, or finish the project you’ve started. The power of the mind is real, and the power of believing is limitless!

This is a true story. There was a woman who believed she would be published. She had never written before. Yet she finished her first novel, naively dropped it in the mail to New York and five days later she heard from the publisher. And not soon after, she had a contract in hand.

That is my story. I went to my first Colorado Gold Conference with an unexecuted contract wondering if I should take it. I was naïve about the publishing business and oddly, it was my ignorance that became instrumental on my quick road to publication. I never bought into the statistics about becoming a newly published author. I had never gone to a writers’ conference before, so I wasn’t privy to the dues most writers pay to become published. I wasn’t aware of the typical rollercoaster ride of hundreds of queries, years of submissions, and flashes of triumphs and pitfalls. I often wonder if I would be published today had I been more informed about the publishing world.


I am not encouraging ignorance. I am however, suggesting that when you’re faced with what seems to be a daunting goal – believe in yourself and discard other people’s stories. When you hear about how a recession will impact the publishing world, ignore it, believe in yourself and shine!

I want to share with you a formula for getting published, which I’ve titled “Believe and receive.” First, you certainly need to have a strong, well written story. Query agents and/or editors to let them know what you’re selling. Next, forget everything you’ve ever heard about the odds of getting published.

This next step is important - ask your highest spiritual ideal for your goal! Whether that ideal is God, Jesus, Buddha, Yahweh, your higher self, or the Universe, you must ask. How? Ask out loud, ask in your prayers, or ask in writing. It doesn’t matter, just authentically ask!

Then you must believe at the core of your being that you will accomplish the goal you have set. Cultivate the feeling that you have already accomplished this goal. I’m not suggesting that you go out and spend your advance. But imagine how it will feel when you’ve succeeded, and feel it! To truly believe in ourselves we surrender and trust that our desires will occur. Trust that the Universe is moving and shaking things up to accommodate your desire.

Lastly, while you may not think this relates (oh ... and how it does), think positively! Eliminate those negative thoughts. Practice the lessons of the three wise monkeys, “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". Don’t surround yourselves with naysayers, those who doubt your ability. If you find yourself doubting, or worrying about achieving your objective, remind yourself that you are a remarkable being, believe in yourself, and affirm, “My (goal) is being drawn to me right now.”

If this is a stretch for you, consider setting small goals for yourself at first. With every little victory you will feel yourself building confidence, then it’ll become easier to believe and trust.

Next time you come across one of those horror stories about the publishing business and you find yourself thinking, ‘I have a better chance of getting struck by lightening than getting published!’ Stop! Remind yourself, ‘That isn’t my story.’

Think about what you want to accomplish in 2009, believe it and receive it!


Alex Marcoux is a novelist, she writes mystery/supernatural thrillers. She is close to completing her first nonfiction spirituality book. Alex is also a screenwriter and a short film based on her second book, Back to Salem has been produced. She’s currently working on the feature-length screenplay.

Originally published January 2009 in the Rocky Mountain Writer - Newsletter of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers

Visit Alex at her website, AlexMarcoux.com